What is a geocell?
In 2011, a construction company in Wisconsin, USA, mixed honeycomb grids with sand and gravel and laid them on the ground to build a road. This operation is confusing.
It turns out that this magical honeycomb grid material is called a geocell. It is a three-dimensional mesh structure made of reinforced HDPE sheets and welded with high strength. It is flexible and can be folded and folded during transportation. It can be opened and filled with earth, stone, or concrete materials to form a structure with lateral solid restraint and high stiffness. It can be used as a cushion to treat weak foundations and increase the bearing capacity of the foundations. It can also be laid on slopes to form protection structures and build retaining structures. This material is also very convenient to construct.
What is the function of geocell?
In road construction, geocells play an essential role:
1. Soil stability: Geocells can accommodate and restrain soil by forming a three-dimensional network honeycomb structure in the soil, thereby improving soil stability. Improving soil stability is particularly important for road construction in areas with poor soil quality, as it can prevent soil subsidence and deformation.
2. Prevent lateral erosion: Geocells can prevent lateral erosion on road slopes and embankments. The geocell structure can resist the erosion of rainwater and surface runoff, protect the stability of the roadbed, and prevent soil from being washed away, thereby slowing down the degradation of the roadbed.
3. Uniform load distribution: The geocell’s honeycomb structure helps distribute the load to a larger area and reduces the local pressure on the foundation soil. This can reduce the settlement of the road surface and foundation and extend the service life of the road.
4. Roadbed reinforcement: Geocells can reinforce the pavement structure and improve the load-bearing capacity of the pavement. By filling the cells into a solid structure, settlement and cracks in the pavement can be prevented, especially in areas with poor soil quality or heavy traffic loads.
5. Slope protection: In road construction, geocells can protect slopes and prevent slope collapse and landslides. Reinforcing slopes with geocells can ensure terrain stability along roads and reduce safety risks caused by soil erosion and slope collapse.
Why do you need geocells for road construction？
Most of our familiar roads are paved with asphalt concrete. But, long-term use and rolling will cause the pavement to collapse, causing cracks and potholes.
Yet, the later use effect will differ if a geocell layer is laid on the ground before laying asphalt concrete.
When a vehicle drives over a road with a layer of geocells, it will disperse some of its concentrated load and improve the carrying capacity.
Besides, by comparison, it also has a shock-absorbing effect because the sand and gravel materials mixed in the geocell can disperse gravity and achieve a buffering effect.
It is worth mentioning that the particularity of the geocell material allows it to be expanded and retracted. It displays a honeycomb shape after unfolding; when transported, it only needs to be folded and immediately turns into a compressed black cloth.
When using it, spread the geocell and fix each part with anchor rods. After laying, sand and gravel are filled into the grid. Finally, a road roller is used to crush the road.
After adding geocells, the built roads are more durable and need less maintenance.
Also, using geocells under the permafrost roadbed can prevent slurry from occurring or cause the upper limit of the permafrost layer to drop. To the most significant extent, high-quality strength and stiffness are ensured.
When using geocells to pave the road, it is necessary to ensure that the road surface is smooth and that the paved road surface is cleaned. The main reason for this step is to ensure the force distribution is complete and even.
What is Geocell used for?
1. Used to stabilize road and railway roadbeds.
2. Used to manage load-bearing embankments and shallow water channels.
3. A hybrid retaining wall prevents landslides and load gravity.
4. When encountering a soft foundation, using geocells can reduce the labor intensity of construction, reduce the thickness of the roadbed, have fast construction speed and good performance, and reduce the project cost.
As the world’s leading geocell manufacturer, we are proud to revolutionize road construction and infrastructure development. Our commitment to innovation and quality sets us apart as the first choice for engineers, contractors, and project managers worldwide. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have a geocell road project or other geocell project under construction. Our engineers will provide technical solutions online, 24 hours a day. At the same time, we can also provide you with free geocell samples for testing.