With the development of the economy, people are more and more aware of the importance of environmental protection, and more and more green spaces are planned in cities’ construction. Yet, because trees root will occupy most of the underground space, the cement panels and roads in the garden are fragmented, so the product of root barrier appeared, and now HDPE LLDPE geomembrane is used in this industry.
The advantages of high-density polyethylene geomembrane:
1. It has the dual functions of waterproofing and preventing plant roots from penetrating. It can withstand the puncture of plant roots and maintain the waterproof function for a long time.
2. It not only prevents root puncture but also does not affect the normal growth of plants.
3. It can form a high-strength waterproof layer, has strong resistance to pressurized water, and is resistant to puncture, cracking, tearing, and fatigue.
4. The tensile strength is high, the thickness of the modified asphalt coating is large, and the adaptability to the shrinkage deformation and cracking of the base layer is strong.
5. Excellent high and low-temperature resistance, suitable for hot and cold areas.
6. Good corrosion resistance, mildew resistance, and weather resistance.
7. Hot-melt construction, convenient construction, and reliable and durable hot joints.
Basic treatment of planted area:
1. The waterproof base layer must be cleaned up to ensure firmness, dryness, and flatness.
2. The unevenness of the construction surface should be compensated or smoothed first, and the corners and internal corners should also be rounded in advance.
3. Completely coat the construction surface with the base treatment agent and wait for it to dry completely. Root blocking waterproof layer construction: hot-melt construction method.
Root puncture-resistant high-density HDPE geomembrane is used as a root-blocking waterproof layer. It has long-term root puncture resistance, strong adhesion, good stability, low-temperature flexibility, good heat resistance, and chemical resistance.
Two ways of welding polyethylene geomembrane:
A. It must be overlapped 15cm before hot melt welding, and the film block must be adjusted to cut the possibility of wrinkles and “fish mouth” at the seam.
B. Extrusion welding and welding stitching should overlap by 7.5cm. The stitching area must be cleaned before stitching to ensure that the area is clean and free of water, dust, garbage, or any debris.
The welding requirements for thick high-density polyethylene geomembrane:
1. Whether it is productive welding or experimental welding, the temperature, speed, and pressure of the welding must be maintained to achieve the expected results
2. Each welding seam should be inspected, and the welding rod must be kept clean and dry.
3. When welding a side slope, the length of the weld should extend along the slope and cannot cross. Cut the welding of side feet and sporadic film
4. The surface of the HDPE geomembrane should be cleaned of moisture, dust, garbage, and other debris.
5. At the overlap of the HDPE film, the wrinkles should be removed. When the wrinkle size is less than 10 cm, a round or oval patch should be used, and the size of the patch should exceed the circumference of the incision by 5 cm.
6. When the ambient temperature and unfavorable weather conditions affect the welding of the HDPE geomembrane, the operation should be stopped.
The welding machine should be maintained, and the residues in the welding machine should be cleaned.
The welding method of HDPE geomembrane: adopt double-track hot-melt welding. For parts that cannot be welded by the wedge welder, an extrusion hot-melt welder should be used, with a welding rod of the same quality as the raw material, to form a single weld seam for surfacing.
1. The welding process of the hot wedge welding machine is divided into adjusting pressure, setting temperature, setting speed, welding seam overlap inspection, loading film into the machine, and starting the motor.
2. There should be no oil and dust at the joints, and there should be no debris, condensation, moisture, and other debris on the overlap section of the HDPE geomembrane. When there is debris, it must be cleaned up before welding.
3. At the beginning of each day of welding, usually a 0.9mm×0.3mm sample should be tested on-site first, with a lap width of not less than 10cm, and peel and shear tests should be performed on-site. After the sample is qualified, it can be adjusted at that time. Good speed, pressure, and temperature are welding. During the welding process of the hot wedge welding machine, it is necessary to pay attention to the operation of the welding machine at any time and to fine-tune the speed and temperature according to the actual situation on the spot.
4. The welding seam is required to be neat and beautiful, and there must be no slip welding or skipping phenomenon.
5. So above are the basic precautions for installing root barriers. If you have still had questions about this, please contact us to get your solutions from Earthshields.