The laying of geocells is generally carried out on slopes or roadbeds. Geocell laying, connection, fixing, and backfilling are important construction steps. Correct geocell construction methods can simplify the construction steps and increase the construction speed, making your geocell project construction faster, more convenient, and more labor-saving.
Materials needed to install geocells on slopes
1. Geocell: This is the main material used to enhance the stability of slopes and reduce soil erosion. Geocells are usually available in panels or rolls.
2. Rooting nails or anchors: used to fix the geocell to prevent it from moving or shifting during backfilling. Used at the edges of geocells.
3. Backfill material: This is the material that fills the spaces in the geocell interior. Used backfill materials include soil, total, or gravel. The materials chosen should be based on the needs and design requirements of the project.
4. Hand tamper or compaction equipment: Used to compact the backfill material to ensure it reaches the required density and stability.
5. Knives or scissors: Used to trim and adjust the geocell to the shape and size of the slope. These tools can be used to cut geocell panels or rolls.
6. Measuring equipment (such as a distance meter or measuring tool): If precise measurements of the slope’s dimensions are required to ensure proper coverage of the geocell.
7. Edge protection material (optional): Sometimes, the installer may need to add more edge protection material to prevent damage to the geocell’s edges at the top or bottom of the slope.
8. Other safety equipment (as needed): Depending on the work environment and safety regulations, appropriate safety equipment such as gloves, hard hats, and goggles may be required.
How to install geocells on slopes?
The slope must be laid from top to bottom, from the top to the bottom of the slope. Before laying, the gravel and debris on the slope surface must be cleaned to avoid tearing the sheet during laying. Pay attention to unfolding the laying. That is, the honeycomb grid must be expanded and tightened to maintain a complete honeycomb grid state to exert the fixing effect of the sheet on soil and vegetation.
1. Site preparation: Clear vegetation, debris, and loose soil from the area where the geocell will be installed. Measure to determine the dimensions of the slope and ensure proper coverage of the geocell.
2. Expand or place the geocell: After the geocell is transported to the construction site, workers must stretch the folded cell (some fibrous materials, such as geotextile, geotextile, etc., can be laid under the geocell according to the actual conditions of the construction site). Non-woven fabrics, etc.)
3. Fix the geocell: Use root nails, anchors, or other suitable methods to fix the geocell on the slope. These should be placed around the perimeter of the geocell to prevent movement or displacement during the backfill process.
4. Backfilling material: Use the load-bearing machine on the construction site to fill the granular objects until it is full and beyond the top of the geocell, and then vibrate or roll to complete the base layer. Proper compaction is critical to slope stability.
5. Finishing and Vegetation: Once the required slope stability is achieved, the surface can be finished according to project specifications. This includes adding topsoil and planting vegetation to further enhance slope stability and prevent erosion.
6. Inspection and maintenance: After the construction is completed, review it from beginning to end to see if any missing cell grids have not been filled to maintain the long-term stability of the slope.
Geocell installation expansion:
The paving of the roadbed is a horizontal plane. It should be laid according to the force direction of the roadbed to avoid uneven roadbed layers, such as soft soil potty roadbed and uneven gravel roadbed because the geocells must give full play to their strength. The prerequisite for its function is to ensure good flatness of the laying layer. Besides, after laying geocells on the roadbed and before backfilling, it is prohibited to drive vehicles on it. The bearing capacity of the grid without backfill is limited and cannot withstand the passage of heavy-duty vehicles. The grid must be opened and backfilled. Vehicles can be driven only after the soil is enough.
Benefits of installing geocells on slopes
Proper installation of geocells on slopes has many benefits, particularly slope stability, soil erosion control, and ecological protection. Here are some of the main benefits:
1. Improve slope stability: Geocells can improve slope stability. They increase the soil’s resistance to sliding and reduce the risk of landslides and slope collapse, thereby improving slope safety.
2. Soil erosion control: Geocells reduce the possibility of soil erosion and prevent rainfall, water flow, or waves from eroding soil on slopes. This helps protect land resources and reduce soil erosion.
3. Ecological protection: Geocells help maintain the ecosystem on slopes. By reducing soil erosion, they protect vegetation and wildlife habitat and contribute to the maintenance of ecological diversity.
4. Reduced maintenance costs: Geocells reduce soil loss on slopes, reducing maintenance costs on slopes and downstream areas. They extend the life of your slopes and reduce the need for maintenance.
5. Sustainability: Geocell manufacturing often uses recyclable materials and helps reduce resource waste. They support soil conservation and sustainable land management.
In summary, installed geocells can help improve slope stability, reduce soil erosion, protect the ecological environment, reduce maintenance costs, promote sustainable land management, and reduce engineering risks. Thus, they have a wide range of applications in civil engineering, environmental protection, and land management.
As a leading Geocell manufacturer, we are committed to providing high-quality geosynthetic solutions. Our Geocell products are designed to enhance soil stability, improve roads and foundations, and reduce soil erosion. Our commitment is to provide exceptional quality, customer support, and sustainability to meet a wide range of engineering needs. No matter the size of your project, we provide you with innovative solutions to ensure project success and sustainability. If you have a geocell project, you can contact us. Our engineers will provide you with professional geocell guidance online 24 hours a day and can also provide you with free geocell samples!