Geotextile is a new type of geosynthetic product, which is a permeable geosynthetics made of synthetic fibers by needling or weaving. There are PP and PET materials of geotextile fabric, which can also be divided into woven geotextile and non-woven geotextile according to the process. Geotextile has excellent isolation, filtration, and water permeability, and can be used in many fields. Today, we introduce the properties and application examples of Geotextiles, to help you understand the performance of Geotextiles well and make choices according to your projects.
What are the properties of geotextile?
1. The geotextile is permeable because the geotextile is made of plastic fiber, the gap between the fibers can make the water flow, and the fiber itself will not absorb water. Thus, it has very good water permeability and will not absorb water.
2. The geotextile has good tensile resistance and can maintain good compressive strength and elongation under both dry and wet conditions.
3. It has good chemical resistance, i.e. resistance to corrosive chemicals such as acid and alkali. It can maintain good performance and long service life even in soil and water with different PH values. For the environment with different PH values, PP or PET geotextiles should be selected according to the actual application.
4. The geotextile can resist bacteria and organisms. As geotextiles are fiber products, they cannot be digested by organisms or insects. So they won’t be damaged by microorganisms and insects and are not easy to biodegrade.
5. The weight of the geotextile fabric is very light, with specifications of 100~1000 and other weights. It supports customization and is very easy to lay.
What functions can geotextiles play in the application?
The main function of geotextile is isolation and filtration. Also, the combination of geotextile and geomembrane can also form a composite anti-puncture interlayer to strengthen and protect the substrate. The functions of geotextiles are described in detail below.
1. Because the geotechnical engineering department is formed by long filament or short filament fibers, the fibers are very dense and can isolate materials with different densities. For example, in landfill projects and soil engineering, geotextile can isolate soil and sand, soil and concrete, and other different materials. Geotextile can replace the function of stone and gravel interlayer. At the same time, compared with other materials, geotextiles are also very light and occupy a very small volume.
2. Filter or reverse filter. In landfill or construction engineering, due to the good air permeability and water permeability of geotextiles, water can flow through and collect. The drainage system can be built in the landfill project through the laid blind ditch and the edge drainage ditch, which is conducive to the drainage and anti-overflow of the whole base. This function is very important for rainwater scouring and discharge of excess liquid in landscape projects or reinforcement of roads.
3. Protection and enhancement. The geotechnical engineering department has certain tensile strength and deformation capacity, which can withstand a certain degree of pressure, and diffuse and decompose external impact. Thus, it can protect the soil from external forces. Especially in environmental protection engineering like landfill projects, the composite structure formed by geotextile and geomembrane can enhance the tensile strength of soil and the stability of the structure, so that the whole system can withstand greater pressure and external force impact.
Applications of Geotextile
Because of their excellent characteristics such as drainage and lightweight, geotextiles are used in environmental protection engineering, water conservancy, mining, highway, railway, and another geotechnical engineering.
1. It can be used as a drainage material in reservoirs and mines.
2. Form a drainage layer at the top or bottom of high-rise buildings (usually combined with other geotechnical products).
3. It is used to prevent seepage and scouring of dams and embankments (geotextile and geotextile bags are all used).
4. It is used for the base laying of highways, railways,s and other road projects, which can prevent the asphalt pavement from freezing and cracking.
5. Used in environmental protection projects, such as sanitary landfill projects. Landfill projects, etc. As a leading environmental protection material, it is a very product to solve the problem of anti-seepage and anti-leakage in waste landfills.
Here we introduce the application of geotextile in environmental protection.
Application background of landfill
With the continuous increase of population and development of society, the issue of population and resources has become a common problem faced by all countries in the world. The garbage produced by mass production and living needs to be treated. At present, incineration and landfill are used in the world. Compared with incineration, landfills can produce less secondary pollution and lower treatment cost. Thus, landfill is a common choice of waste treatment methods.
Around the world, there are some landfills distributed around each city in each country. Yet, due to the complexity and harmfulness of waste types, the problem of anti-seepage and anti-leakage of pollutants must be considered in landfill garbage. Garbage includes domestic garbage, industrial garbage, etc., which contains a lot of harmful substances and pollutants. We must prevent these harmful substances from flowing out, and causing serious soil pollution, air pollution, or water pollution. Thus, geotechnical materials must be used in all landfill sites to form an anti-seepage system, so about ensure that the garbage will not sink and rupture, and harmful substances will not pollute the environment. All these measures are to protect soil and the environment, which are very important for production, living, and environmental protection.
Application of Geotextile in Construction projects
Besides environmental protection projects, Geotextile can also be used in ground construction projects.
In environmental protection——landfill projects, geomembrane, and other geotechnical materials are combined to form the anti-seepage layer of a multi-layer structure, in which there is not only one layer of geomembrane and geotextile. The multi-layer geotextile and geomembrane in landfill application play different roles. Besides the geomembrane that contacts the objects, the middle geotextile can play the role of backflow and drainage. The geotextile and geomembrane in the lower layer are used as secondary protection to prevent seepage and puncture. The more layers and thickness of geotextile and geomembrane are, the stronger the bearing capacity of the whole structure will be, and it is not easy to crack and leak.
In construction, geotextile can be used as reinforcement material for railways, highways, airports, runways,s and other road subgrades. Geotextile can isolate material layers with different densities. At the same time, it can form a waterproof layer to discharge water in time and prevent seepage deformation caused by excessive water deposition. Isolation, reinforcement, and drainage are the main functions of geotextiles in such applications.
What are the materials of geotextile?
The main raw materials of geotextiles are various high molecular polymers, including polypropylene, polyester, nylon, vinylon, mixed fiber, and other raw materials. Polypropylene and polyester are the most used material of geotextile. Both of them have the general characteristics of geotextiles, but there are some differences in their material properties. The following details of the introduction, as well as the similarities and differences between the two PET and PP materials, will help you know them better and make an easy choice.
Main differences between PET(polyester)and PP (polypropylene) Geotextile
Both PET and PP geotextiles have good water permeability, compression resistance, and stability. Yet, there are differences in acid and alkaline resistance between the two. PP material Geotextile has good resistance to both acid and alkali. PET material has good acid resistance, but its alkali resistance is not very good. PET material is easy to decompose due to chemical changes in low-temperature, strong alkaline situations or high-temperature, weak alkaline situations. This major difference determines their differences in application.
Also, the density of PET and PP geomembrane is different. The density of PET raw material is higher than that of water, while the density of PP raw material is lower than that of water. Through this feature, it is easy to distinguish between pet and PP geotextiles. Furthermore, the price of PP geotextile is higher than that of PET geotextile because of the difference in raw materials and characteristics.
How to choose pET and PP materials?
The main differences between pet and PP geotextiles have been discussed above. Thus, the customer can choose PP or PET geotextile according to the actual application.
If an alkaline environment is encountered in the application environment, such as the application of chemical plants, mining, or coastal dam project, we recommend that you use PP geotextile. Due to the good acid and alkali resistance of PP material, PP geotextile can adapt to complex environments and has a long service life.
In other general projects, such as the landfill project or construction of roads, both PP geotextile and PET geotextile can be selected. To save money, you can choose PET long filament geotextile, which is the most cost-effective choice for most engineering applications, like landfill and road construction.
What are the specifications of geotextile?
Besides materials, geotextiles can be divided into long filament products and short filament products according to the kinds of fiber. Long filament fiber geotextile is usually a little more expensive than long filament one, but it has more stable properties.
The main index to distinguish the thickness and tensile strength of geotextile is weight. At present, the weight of geotextiles produced by most factories ranges from 100gsm to 1000gsm. The unit GSM is the weight of geotextile per square meter, expressed in grams. The higher the gram weight of the geotextile, the thicker the thickness of the geotextile, the better its tensile performance, and the higher its impermeability and tear resistance (such as CBR coefficient).
You can see various parameters of geotextiles with different weights from the table. According to your engineering strength and practical application, you should select geotextiles with higher strength performance than required. In general, Geotextiles in the weight range of 200-800 gsm are very popular. If you are a newcomer, please feel free to consult us and we will recommend geotextiles of appropriate weight to you.
Size of Geotextile Rolls
Like the geomembrane, geotextile is also packed into rolls to load and deliver. The size of a geotextile roll includes width and roll length. Generally, we can produce the width of the earthwork department between 3m and 8m. According to our experience, 3m, 4m, and 5.8m are the most popular widths. Why these widths? Well, because for a small quantity, the largest width of the combined cabinet during the transportation is limited to 3m. And the largest width of a 20-foot container to load is 5.9m. Thus, 5.8m is the most suitable width for 20-foot containers. The width of 5.8m geotextile rolls can maximize the use of space and carry the largest capacity. So if you have no special needs, we will recommend a width of 5.8m. If you have some special needs or your engineering or the area of your projects is very large, you can also choose a larger width.No matter if it is 6m, 7m, or 8m, we can all carry out production.
Our geotextile roll length can also be customized according to customers’ needs, ranging from 50m~200m to 300m. At the same time, if the customer needs a very large amount, we also support OEM services. We have our own factory, and all our products are customized. We will do everything we can to meet your needs.
Professional Geotextile Company to Recommend
Shandong Dajin is a professional manufacturer of geotechnical materials. Also to our own large-scale factories, we also have professional product consulting and perfect logistics services. We can provide customers with a one-stop service because we have been focusing on geotechnical solutions for more than a decade.
Shandong Dajin can provide professional anti-seepage/anti-leakage products, solutions, and services. If you have any questions about geotextiles and geomembranes, please do not hesitate to contact us. Looking forward to your visit!